Representation In Kentucky’s State & Federal Courts
Matthew J. Baker
Matt provides a broad range of legal services to clients across Kentucky. He has represented Fortune 100 companies, mom-and -pops, and individuals on a wide variety of issues, ranging from general civil litigation, to high-profile criminal cases, to family law, and appeals. His criminal practice ranges from traffic court to murder trials, and he was counsel for Rene Boucher in both the criminal and civil cases regarding the assault on U. S. Senator Rand Paul. The criminal case resulted in two published opinions from the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit. Similarly, his civil practice includes litigation in small claims, district court, circuit court, and federal court.
He began his career as an officer and judge advocate in the United States Marine Corps, and he has also served as a judge on the Kentucky Court of Appeals. He has been counsel of record in over 250 cases on appeal in state and federal court: and he has an active trial practice, as welt.
Matt has served on several local boards and commissions, and he is a volunteer every Saturday morning at the local MEALS program, which prepares and serves over 250 meals to the underprivileged in the community.
- Wake Forest University School of Law, Winston Salem, North Carolina
- J.D. - 1986
- University of Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky
- Major: English
Classes & Seminars
- County Roads in Kentucky, Kentucky County Attorneys Association, 02/21/2007
- Baker v. Jones, Ky.App., 199 S.W.3d 749 (2006)
- Bessinger v. Commonwealth, Ky.App., 451 S.W.3d 244 (2014)
- Board of Educ. of Estill County, Kentucky v. Zurich Ins. Co., United States District court, E.D. Kentucky, 180 F.Supp.2d 890 (2002).
- Boling v. Prospect Funding Holdings, LLC, United States District Court, W.D Kentucky, Bowling Green Division, 324 F.Supp.3d 887 (2018).
- Bowling Green Municipal Utilities v. Atmos Energy Corp., Ky., 989 S.W.2d 577 (1999).
- Carroll v. Carroll, Ky.App., 355 S.W.3d 463 (2011).
- Cary v. Pulaski County Fiscal Court, Ky.App., 420 S.W.3d 500 (2013).
- Cole v. Vincent by Seabolt, Ky.App., 588 S.W.3d 180 (2019).
- Cooper v. Bruner, Ky.App., ---S.W.3d--- (2020), 2020 WL 4555519.
- Danaher v. Hopkins, Ky.App., 449 S.W.3d 765 (2014).
- Downey v. Kentucky Unemployment Insurance Commission, Ky.App., 479 S.W.3d 85 (2015).
- Eades v. Clark Distributing Co., Inc., 70 F.3d 441 (6th Cir. 1995).
- Farmland Mut. Ins. co. v. Johnson Ky., 36 S.W.3d 368 (2000).
- G.D. Deal Holdings. Inc. v. Baker Energy, Inc. United States District Court, W.D. Kentucky, Bowling Green Division, 501 F.Supp.2d 914 (2007).
- Guaranty Nat. Ins. Co. v. George, Ky., 953 S.W.2d 946 (1997).
- Hardaway Management Co. v. Southerland, Ky., 977 S.W.2d 910 (1998).
- Hill v. Petrotech Resources corp., Ky., 325 S.W.3d 302 (2010).
- Keco v. Ayala, Ky.App., 592 S.W.3d 753 (2019).
- LaF1eur v. Shoney's, Inc., Ky., 83 S.W.3d 474 (2002).
- Nordike v. Nordike, Ky., 231 S.W.3d 733 (2007).
- Richardson v. Dodson, Ky., 832 S.W.2d 888 (1992).
- Southerland v. Hardaway Management Co., Inc., 41 F.3d 250 (6th Cir. 1994).
- Travelers Indemnity Company v. Armstrong, Ky., 565 S.W.3d 550 (2018).
- United States v. Boucher, 905 F.3d 479 (6th Cir. 2018).
- United States v. Boucher, 937 F.3d 702 (6th Cir. 2019).
- Wells v. City of Bowling Green, Ky.App., 344 S W.3d 141 (2011).
- Western Kentucky Coca-Cola Bottling Co., Inc. v. Revenue Cabinet, Ky.App., 80 S.W.3d 787 (2001).
- Kentucky Court of Appeals, Judge, 2003
- Cole, Moore & Baker, Partner, 1990 to 2002
- U.S. Marine Corps, Judge Advocate, 1987 to 1990
- Bowling Green-Warren County Bar Association, 1990 to Present
- Kentucky Bar Association, 1996 to Present
- General Civil Litigation
- Family Law
- Criminal Law
- Kentucky, 1986
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1984
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit, 1991
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Kentucky
- U.S. District Court Western District of Kentucky
- U. S. Court of Military Appeals, 1988
- Kentucky Super Lawyer 2013-Present